The eggPlant Performance installer includes software for the Studio, Test Controller, and Injector applications. This installer is available only for Windows. The machine where you install this software will be your Controller machine. Information about installation and initial setup of eggPlant Performance is provided below. For a high-level summary of these applications, see eggPlant Performance Components.
The eggPlant Performance installer includes injector software, so you can run an injector on the Controller machine. See Managing Injectors for information about how this injector works. You can also run injectors on other machines if you want to run bigger tests, or you need to run tests on other operating systems besides Windows. For information about installing injectors on other machines, see Injector Installation.
You can also install the eggPlant Performance Analyzer application on your Controller machine, or you can install Analyzer on a another machine. Analyzer is available only for Windows, but is provided in a separate installer from the other eggPlant Performance applications. For information about installing Analyzer, see Installing eggPlant Performance Analyzer.
Prerequisites for Installation
eggPlant Performance requires at least 1 GB free disk space on the installation drive. You must also have disk space available for recordings and test run data. This data can range from a few kilobytes to gigabytes, depending on the test run options selected, the level of logging, the duration of your test runs, and the number of simulated virtual users.
Step by Step: Installing eggPlant Performance
Below are step-by-step instructions for installing eggPlant Performance on the machine that will be your Controller machine.
- Download the latest eggPlant Performance installer (eggPlant<version>.msi) from the TestPlant website. The eggPlant Performance installation includes the Studio, Test Controller, and Injector components
- On the Windows PC that will act as the Controller, log in as a user with local administrator privileges and execute the eggPlant<version>.msi that you downloaded.
- Run the installation program, which installs a local (localhost) Injector alongside the Studio and Test Controller executables.
- Depending on your needs, you might need to further license eggPlant Performance Studio in order to use it.
- eggPlant Performance is updated regularly, so please periodically check the Downloads page of our website for new releases and for details of new features.
Licensing for eggPlant Performance is handled through eggPlant Performance Test Controller. You need a license for actually running tests because that happens in Test Controller. However, recording, generating, writing scripts, creating test definitions, and so forth, can all be done in Studio without entering a license.
eggPlant Functional virtual users (VUs) require additional licensing beyond the licensing of eggPlant Performance.
To enter or manage your license keys, you use GreenHouse, TestPlant's licensing portal.
When you launch eggPlant Performance Test Controller for the first time, you will see the eggPlant Performance Licenses dialog box. You can also access this dialog box by navigating to Tools > Licenses in Test Controller.
Whenever you launch Test Controller, it checks for a valid license. If there is no license, or the license has expired or is about to expire, Test Controller opens the licensing dialog box. You receive a warning if your license is 30 days or less from expiration when you launch Test Controller.
Note: You can turn off the license expiration warning in Test Controller Preferences (Tools > Preferences) by clearing the checkbox for Display license warnings on startup. You can also clear the checkbox on the warning dialog box itself, which would turn off all future expiration warnings.
To enter a new license, follow these steps:
- Click the Copy to clipboard button to copy your host ID.
- Click the GreenHouse link to open the GreenHouse account log in page in your browser.
- Follow the appropriate steps in GreenHouse to generate your license file, then download it to the Contoller machine. For information about accessing and using GreenHouse, see Managing Licenses in GreenHouse.
- In the eggPlant Performance Licensing dialog box, click Add a license, which opens a file browser. Navigate to the downloaded license file, select it, then click Open. eggPlant Performance copies the file into the directory where it expects license files to be, and you receive a confirmation message that the license has been accepted.
- Click Close when your licensing information is entered correctly.
On the Tools menu, click Licenses. The eggPlant Performance Licenses dialog box opens:
From here, you can view your computer's Host ID and copy it to the clipboard by clicking the button.
You can also see a list of licenses installed on the computer, each of which allows you to run a certain number of virtual users.
If you have multiple licenses, the number of VUs available for each license is added together to give the total number of VUs you have available to assign to tests.
For example, you could be licensed to run 100 Java VUs for several months, but you might need to run 1000 Java VUs for a short period for some intensive testing. You can request a week-long license for 1000 Java VUs that can be added alongside the existing license, and it will increase the capacity of your tests by 1000 Java VUs while it is active so that you would have 1100 VUs available.
- Click Add a license to enter a new license, as described above.
- Use the Refresh button the refresh the license list view. You might need to refresh if you add a license to the directory outside of Test Controller, such as using Windows Explorer.
Uninstalling eggPlant Performance
To remove eggPlant Performance, follow these steps:
- Close all eggPlant Performance component instances.
- Uninstall via WindowsControl Panel > Add or Remove Programs.
The eggPlant Performance uninstall program does not remove your workspace or project data. If you do not want to save any of your workspaces, projects, or test results, you must manually delete them.
Re-Installation on the Same Controller Machine
If you intend to update your installation with a new release, you must carry out the following steps.
- Perform uninstallation, as above.
- Install the latest version.
This topic was last updated on December 11, 2017, at 11:15:52 AM.